Centerboard problems?

More
4 years 6 months ago #2192 by Gene Millard
Centerboard problems? was created by Gene Millard
Hello fellow sailors,
My wife and I are searching for our dream cruising sailboat and leaning strongly towards a Brewer 12.8. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the centerboard? Or other issues that we should be aware of. I would be grateful for any input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #2193 by Terry Temperly
Replied by Terry Temperly on topic Centerboard problems?
We bought 1985 model in 2003. Center board was missing. Pocklingtons made a new one for me. Rosas dos Ventos had one made a couple years ago also. So new bushing at the pivot point and new 1 inch diameter pin. No problems. Others have complained of noises underway. I believe due to worn bushing. Easy to replace. Others have installed pads inside the keel cavity to restrict movement. Which boat are you looking at? Multiple 12.8 for sale right now. Ask broker or owner if noisy. Take a ride yourself! Some say they have problems while.others do not. It seems to be boat specific.

More
4 years 6 months ago #2196 by Jack Dexter
Replied by Jack Dexter on topic Centerboard problems?
Welcome. We have 12.8 hull number 252. It's a great boat. We had pads put on either side of our centerboard to eliminate a tendency for it to rattle at anchor. We had the place at the front of the centerboard trunk where the pennant enters the boat under the cabin sole regasketed to stop a very small leak that had developed there. We make sure the pivot pin and pennant are in good shape when we haul out. The board does improve performance going to weather while allowing for shallow draft.

Good luck in your search.

Jack

More
4 years 6 months ago #2198 by Gene Millard
Replied by Gene Millard on topic Centerboard problems?
Thanks for the input everyone. An additional question,how does the 12.8 handle heavy weather and rough seas? Comfort and general performance?

More
4 years 6 months ago #2199 by Jack Dexter
Replied by Jack Dexter on topic Centerboard problems?
We make it a practice to try to avoid heavy weather and big seas so we've not experienced any big storms at sea. We've experienced some fairly large rollers off Nova Scotia and entering the inlet at St. Augustine and she handled them with no drama. The 12.8 is no light weight. That's especially true when the tanks are full and she's provisioned for cruising. . Her hull form and heft really help when it gets rough. She feels and is really solid. She's also an excellent sailor.

Practical Sailor says the 12.8 will take you anywhere in the world you want to go. At least two professional yacht captains have said after getting off their gold platers how much they respected the design and construction. If the boat you buy surveys well and the rigging is sound you'll be happy with your purchase.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds