Transmission

More
9 years 5 months ago #892 by Adrien Rock
Transmission was created by Adrien Rock
We have a Brewer 12.8 Cutter Cruiser and we need to remove the transmission to have it serviced. Once unbolted, can the transmission be removed thru the floor opening in the aft head ? ( seems like very little room with all the trhu hull fittings ???) Or will we have to cut the floor board under the ladder to the aft cocklpit entrance? Or will we have to move the engine forward ?

Adrien Rock
Hull 271 "Dolphin"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #904 by John Meskauskas
Replied by John Meskauskas on topic Re:Transmission
You didn't mention what engine you have. In my hull No. 2, I opened up the cockpit and took out the Perkins 4.236 engine and Borg Warner 71C transmission together. Our boat has a hardtop and hydraulic steering but altogether it didn't take more than two days, as I recall. The fact that the cockpit floor unbolts allowed me to avoid cutting or damaging the interior. This was done in the water by a boom truck. It removed the hardtop, the engine/trans and an oversize genset in less than two hours. Then, you can do anything you want in the engine room!

The 71C weighs around 100 pounds so unbolting it, or a similar transmission, without taking out the engine is difficult and may be dangerous. Perhaps you might consider building a railway for it and taking it out the aft cabin access hatch but the shaft is in the way.

Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds