Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system

• Andrew Schoenberg
  • Andrew Schoenberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #720 by Andrew Schoenberg
Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system was created by Andrew Schoenberg
Hello All

I am in George Town Exumas with yes 265 boats and approximately 6 other Whitby Brewers

Recently the numatic actuator on my Proplock sprung a leak and it will take 3-4 weeks to receive another from the states.
I have a Ford Lehman 4D254 with a Borg Warner 71CR In line velvet drive. I called American Diesel and they said that
when sailing to monitor the transmission temperature to determine if overheating could damage the transmission.

What are other folks doing - shaft lock or not? Have they seen overheating?
What is an acceptable temperature of the transmission without a lock and how long does this take under sail only?

Any input regarding the need for the shaft lock will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Andy

Sisu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #723 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
The folks at am diesel should know, but I would worry about depending on a temperature test. If it is getting hot enough to feel warm on the outside you may already be doing damage on the inside.

A couple ideas that might help get you by -
1) when sailing, start the engine evey hour or two and let it run for a few minutes to distribute the oil.
2) make your own shaft lock - wrap a strap around the shaft and tie it off somewhere. Wrap it so that as the shaft tries to turn he strap gets tighter.

We are in Marathon, FL now and will be heading to the Exumas on the next weather window. If we can be of assistance with transporting the item please let us now. It looks like we will be here for a few more days waiting for a favorable wind so you may be able to ship it to us and we could bring it over. Contact me directly if you want to arrange something. ConejoGrande@hotmail.com

Hope to see you there!

Scott
Joie de Vivre

More
9 years 9 months ago #727 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
Based upon my experience.....over the years..... , in general, we don't do enough sailing, nor at a high enough speed to spin the prop that much to raise the temp to any critical value.......

When we had a fixed prop, and when I remembered, I would place the transmission in REVERSE....and the prop would not spin...... no damage of which I am aware......

john
MENEHUNE W42

More
9 years 9 months ago #729 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
Can't remember where I read it but you should start your engine every hour or so to keep the transmission lubricated because if the engine is not running then the transmission is not being lubricated. It is better to start it too often than to rebuild or replace it.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

• Andrew Schoenberg
More
9 years 9 months ago #733 by Andrew Schoenberg
Replied by Andrew Schoenberg on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
Hello Scott
Thanks for the help
I ordered 2 replacement actuators that should be here sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again
Andy

Sisu

• Andrew Schoenberg
More
9 years 9 months ago #734 by Andrew Schoenberg
Replied by Andrew Schoenberg on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
Hello John
I contacted American Diesel and they told me that with the 4D254 and borg warner trany - putting in reverse does NOT work.
Thanks anyway
Best regards
Andy

Sisu

More
9 years 7 months ago #774 by Debi Shaimas
Replied by Debi Shaimas on topic Re:Proplock Failure - Do I need a Brake system
Good Day Andy,

Can you tell me what Proplock you have and from where you ordered the actuator?

I just pulled my Sarns Proplock to clean and figure it out. It appears that it was originally installed with a morse cable from the lock to the cockpit (which had been cut off years ago thus making the whole thing useless). Looking at some paperwork found on the boat it looks like there was another option for a neumatic hose from the transmission to the lock. Makes far more sense. I am wondering if than is an option for me.

Thank you.

Debi
S/V Serenity
BYC, Panama

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds