Transmission on 1980 Ford lehman 4D254 model 2712E

• Andrew Schoenberg
  • Andrew Schoenberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #54 by Andrew Schoenberg
Transmission on 1980 Ford lehman 4D254 model 2712E was created by Andrew Schoenberg
Hello Doug,

We are in the process of buying a 1980 Whitby 42 with the 4D254 2712E engine and would like to know what transmission was used with this engine and if there are transmissions issues what to look for and how can this be repaired/serviced. The boat is on the Chesapeake and we are in Maine and would love to know who to go to for transmission evaluation and work. The engine seems strong but I am worried about the transmission. PLease help if you can - many thanks
Andy (207-653-0178)

Sisu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #56 by Douglas Stephenson
Replied by Douglas Stephenson on topic Re:Transmission on 1980 Ford lehman 4D254 model 2712E
Andy, my apologies for not answering sooner! I have had some technical issues with responding but today they seemed to have gone away.

With respect to transmissions, status and condition, I have always had oil samples taken from them and other machinery sumps. Results vary but with common sense allowances and knowledge of the various metal deposits in the oil or fluid it is easy to assess the condition. I have mostly used Wearcheck Laboratories, in Canada they are in Mississauga and in the USA I use the one in Carey North Carolina. I do this as part of my service as a broker helping a buyer make the right decision. Wearcheck offer courses on understanding the meaning of the results. Some people without experience say that you need a trend analysis over a long period. And it is true that this would be a definite asset. But if I look at a single time sample and see excessive iron, lead or copper in the transmission I put caution in the air. The report will also give you viscosiity and if the oil is beyond its time for service. They also alert you to other components present such as water, salt or other foreign matter that may indicate that foreign matter entered the system.

In most cases, oil flushes, refreshment or grade and type change is all that is needed however if the previous owner has been a bit of a cowboy on the gearshift, there could be surprises that are nice to know before the purchase process is complete.

I have found that many surveyors will perform this test, sometimes for a small additional fee or conscientous brokers will do or recommend a competent mechanic to do it as part of the contractual permissions and processes.

Because of my lateness in responding, I hope in this case all went well and you are now the happy owner of a Whitby 42. If so can you share the hull identification number and or her name.

I hope you have found this enlightening and wish you fair winds and clean diesel, Douglas

• Andrew Schoenberg
  • Andrew Schoenberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 6 months ago #61 by Andrew Schoenberg
Replied by Andrew Schoenberg on topic Re:Transmission on 1980 Ford lehman 4D254 model 2712E
Hello Doug

Well here is the long and the short of it. I had an oil analysis done of the transmission and it came back normal. However when we launched the boat for the sea trial a local engine guy came by (not from the boat yard that stored the boat) and told us that the prior owner burned up the transmission (borg warner 71CR velvet drive) got towed in and asked for a quote to rebuild and after getting the quote never mentioned the issue to the brokers and put the boat up for sale. So we ended up both with a dishonorable prior owner and a bad transmission. Because the boatyards lift was down till late April we could not do the sea trial and had an escrow addendum that now will probably only cover about half the repair of the transmission. The reason the oil analysis came back OK was the prior owner changed the transmission oil after he burned up the transmission.
So hopefully we have a good engine - that once the transmission is fixed will last a long time. Our new boat is Hull number 148 with the present name of Possum Magic (prior owner is Australian). So aside from doing the sea trial before acceptance date - I thought I had the bases covered (land survey, oil analysis, talked to the boatyard folks, etc...). Thankfully my family and I did not try to leave the dock with the burned transmission (with fresh oil probably would have lasted until we were in the Chesapeake). Lesson learned - not all boat owners are honorable either.

Sisu

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds