Exhaust Anti-syphon Connected to Sink

More
10 years 8 months ago #433 by Pat McGuire
Exhaust Anti-syphon Connected to Sink was created by Pat McGuire
Hey All, my name is Pat and my wife is Suzanne. We purchased S/V FairIsle Hull #60 from Dick and Jan Yetke. We transported the boat to our small lake in Oklahoma to prepare it for extended cruising. I have much to learn and will inevitably ask some ignorant questions, and will try to find the answers in the threads prior to asking. We will attempt to track our progress and provide any helpful information as we install our swim platform, davits, ladder, water maker, selfsteer, solar, windlass, canvas, Tides Track, heads, perhaps a bowsprit, etc. We have sailed it four times in 15-25 knots of wind, and are having a blast. I followed the email thread for one year prior to purchasing a boat, and the association site was instrumental in our decision in choosing a Whitby.

First question. We have virtually asphyxiated ourselves each time we go out due to exhaust in the cabin. We removed the side panels in aft cabin and head to search for exhaust leak, none found. We removed the port cockpit locker panels and discovered that the exhaust loop had two take-offs, one that apparently returned to exhaust manifold and the other to our aft head sink. When we start the engine, the exhaust pours up out of the sink drain into the aft head. Exhaust appears to be normal from water/exhaust mix that exits stern of boat. What am I missing here? Never had a diesel, but can't imagine this is normal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #436 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Exhaust Anti-syphon Connected to Sink
That does not sound normal. The only idea I can come up with is that they took a pipe from the top of the anti siphon loop (where the one way valve normally is) and ran it to the sink as a sort of overflow early warning.

www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance-...phoning-exhaust.html

Can you take a few photos and post them here, or if that is a problem e-mail them to me at whitby42 "at" gmail.com and I will post them.

Regards

Gerry

More
10 years 8 months ago #438 by Pat McGuire
Replied by Pat McGuire on topic Re:Exhaust Anti-syphon Connected to Sink
Gerry,

Thanks for the help. I have 3 nice pictures on my old phone, and have had zero success accessing them. Per picture and my guessing, there is a 4 inch hose and valve connected to the exhaust loop, right next to it is what I assume is the raw water loop. It is shaped like an anti-siphon(inverted "U"), but a six inch metal takeoff (about 1 inch diameter) points downward (six o'clock) from the middle of the "U", instead of upward. As I recall, the two-inch raw water loop runs into the exhaust line, and it is about a 3/4-1" hose off of the six-inch metal take-off that runs to the sink drain. My thinking is that the mechanics mistakenly hooked this hose to the sink drain, and that the sink drain "Tee" should be used as a regular air vent? If that were the case, where should the anti-siphon 1 inch downward take-off connect? If someone on the board is actually on their boat, I guess we could at least figure out if their aft sink drain has a "Tee" on it, and if so, where does the hose run? If I go to the lake this weekend, I will get engine room pictures.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #442 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Exhaust Anti-syphon Connected to Sink
Photos as supplied by Pat.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gerry O'Donoghue.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds