Variprop

More
10 years 9 months ago #372 by Hannah Gardner
Variprop was created by Hannah Gardner
We are considering going from our original issue fixed prop to a four bladed Variprop. Does anyone know why we should or should not do this? Thanks, Hannah on Rita T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #373 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Re: Variprop
Because of the closeness of the prop to the keel, using a prop with an even (e.g. 2, 4) number of blades may cause undesireable vibration when the opposite blades are both hidden behind the keel....... that's why all these boats have 3-bladed (odd number of blades) props.

John
MENEHUNE
3-bladed Maxi prop - no vibration

More
10 years 9 months ago #374 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Variprop
John

What are the dimensions of your max-prop? Did you make any alterations to the prop aperture when you installed it.
The Max-prop is a definite on my wish list, but due to the price I'm considering buying the hub this year and a blade every Christmas until I have the full unit.

Regards

Gerry

More
10 years 9 months ago #376 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Re:Variprop
Gerry, Hannah, and other listeners:

Hmmmm these are numbers that I should have on the tip of my tongue.....I could go measure, but the boat is buried in snow. I think the Max prop is 11 x 18. Did not have to make any adjustment to the aperture, but did have to shorten the shaft by about 2.5 inches. Also, I've had to have it rebuilt approx ev 6 yrs because of mechanical wear in the gearing. (Greg did hull 313, and did not have to alter the aperture)

John
MENEHUNE (#195)

More
10 years 9 months ago #385 by Douglas Stephenson
Replied by Douglas Stephenson on topic Re:Variprop
I have never heard of anyone going to a four bladed prop on a Whitby. I believe readily on what John Cece cited in his response on this thread! And Gerry, any attempt to increase the apperture should be well studied before beginning. I have a shop drawing of the factory installed rudder internal components showing the metal contained therein available by email! Just include your hull # Douglas

More
10 years 9 months ago #386 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Thanks Doug

I would not have altered the aperture without adult supervision. This is the e-mail I got form the max-prop people;

"The space available for a propeller on the Whitby 42 is not always the same. With some boats we can only fit an 18" propeller and others we can fit a 20". For the boat and the engine the best propeller would be a 20" but if it will not fit it does not matter much.

If you are able to fit a 20" propeller I would use a 2:1 reduction. If you are limited to an 18" propeller I would use a 1.7:1 ratio."

My hull is is #98 and my email is whitby42 "at" gmail.com. I would appreciate a copy of the shop drawings.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Gerry

More
10 years 9 months ago #396 by David Groves
Replied by David Groves on topic Re:Variprop
Hi All,
We bought a four blade Variprop before setting out to the Bahamas two years ago. Atrociously expensive but worth every penny! I like a boat with a predictable prop walk, and the factory settings gave us that. If you desire, you can neutralize the prop walk, but we definitely want to be able to turn the boat. Also gave us at least an extra half a knot in forward and a great ability to back down in reverse (watch your dinghy painter as you are trying to figure out the entrance buoys to St. Augustine :-)). Buy two or three zincs ahead of time, the fedex costs are more than the cost of the zinc.

Regards

David

W42 #321 Shamal

More
10 years 9 months ago #397 by David Groves
Hi All

Further to my previous post. No modifications in enclosure necessary. No vibrations. It was a tight squeeze to get a 1" zinc on the shaft along with the Spurs line cutter, but no problem. Will see if I can find the exact model, size, etc. (Shamal is on the hard). In order to get it on, takes a little puzzle solving, only will work from the Port side?

My supplier indicated that he had done Whitbys in the past.

David and Hallie
W42 #321 Shamal

More
10 years 9 months ago #398 by Hannah Gardner
Replied by Hannah Gardner on topic Re:Variprop
David, Thank you. That is the kind of real life information I was looking for. I think you have answered each of the issues raised in this thread. We are much more comfortable not changing the aperture or shortening the shaft. Since you report no vibration, we are comfortable withthe idea of the Variprop. Thanks for the info on going at it from the port side...I'm sure we would have figured it out eventually but that information saved us a lot of heartache.

Hannah on Rita T
1981 W42, hull number 172

More
10 years 9 months ago #400 by David Groves
Hi Hannah,
The exact specs are:

VARIPROP 4-blade feathering propeller DF 107, LH, 1 1/4" shaft SAE, 19"x15"x12"(reverse pitch)

This configuration was for a Volvo MD30 engine and transmission. Your pitch might be different.

David

W42 #321 Shamal

More
10 years 9 months ago #403 by Hannah Gardner
Replied by Hannah Gardner on topic Re:Variprop
Thanks, DAvid. Our shaft is the same size and we are trying to track down the rest of the numbers but our engine is a Perkins. We look forward to control in reverse. Thanks for your help. Best, Hannah

s/v Rita T
W42 #172

More
10 years 8 months ago #426 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Anyone doing research on a prop should check out the

FeatherStream Three Bladed. UK made and the price seems good, even with the exchange rate.

www.darglow.co.uk/html/products/feather.htm

I have no vested interest etc.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds