What would you do with this BW Velvet Drive?

More
10 years 11 months ago #299 by John Meskauskas
What would you do with this BW Velvet Drive? was created by John Meskauskas
I've taken out our Perkins 4.236/BW Velvet Drive 71c direct drive powertrain for resealing/rebuilding. When we bought the boat, the tranny leaked but the former owner hid this from me. The box started slipping due to low oil after about 12 hours of operation. Ultimately I quantified the leak rate as about an ounce per two hours. Let's assume that it ran with less than minimal oil for a max of 5 hours; the last half hour all it could manage at 1700RPM was 2.5knots. When I figured out what the problem was, and kept the box topped up, it seemed to be OK for the ensuing 100 hours while I delivered the boat home. Would you guess that there is damage to the clutches and/or other internal parts? Would you just change the seals or take it all apart?

Appreciate your thoughts!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #301 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:What would you do with this BW Velvet Drive?
I would rebuild and replace all seals, O-rings, clutch plates pack. The complete rebuilt kit is a available on Ebay for $160 us. If you have the tools you can do it yourself.
However you only want to do it once because of the difficulty of removing and replacing the gearbox on the Whitby. If you have any doubts have a pro rebuild it

Regards
Derek
Ocean Dove #328

More
10 years 10 months ago #312 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:What would you do with this BW Velvet Drive?
Please let us know what you decide to do, and how it comes out. I suspect my 1974 BW Velvet Drive might have been slipping although I didn't have a working tachometer at the time, so was unsure of engine RPM, and had loads of growth on the bottom at the time (heading up river for haul out after 18 months of cruising). I'll be interested in your experience.
Good luck with it.
Roy B.

More
9 years 10 months ago #652 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic BW Velvet Drive with leaky rear seal
I have #79 last year the rear seal started leaking mostly when cold. The seal, seal puller and several other parts are ready to be installed but I would like a manul for the BW Velvet Drive. Any one have an idea where I can find one?

Thank you,
Vincent LoRusso
S/V Horizons

More
9 years 10 months ago #653 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:BW Velvet Drive with leaky rear seal
I have down loaded the Velvet Drive manual to the "Diesel Propulsion and Power Train "File Download" section
I hope this Helps
Regard
Derek and Darlene
Ocean Dove

More
9 years 10 months ago #654 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:What would you do with this BW Velvet Drive?
I would definitely agree on rebuilding the unit as it has been slipping and burning up the clutches.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds