New Member Intro and Prop Question

• northstar56
  • northstar56's Avatar Topic Author
11 years 6 days ago #257 by northstar56
New Member Intro and Prop Question was created by northstar56
Hi, All,
We've just bought a 1987 Brewer 12.8 Cutter K/CB. She ("Annie" soon to be renamed "Wild Rose IV") is in Palm Coast, Florida and we'll be going down there in December to haul her out, give her some TLC and prep her for cruising. Very exciting! We're fairly new to sailing. We started with a Pearson 32 3 years ago and decided we like traveling with the wind. We've sailed around the Florida Coast once and in the Bahamas twice. This year we'll be in the Bahamas again and plan on visiting the Jumentos. We hope to venture to the southern Caribbean, Cuba and Guatemala in the not too distant future.
My burning questions for today are about the prop. The current prop has some electrolysis damage due to faulty shore power. Photos show zinc (?) plating oxydization. I plan to contact Max Prop to see if we can send the prop to them to assess whether the prop can be repaired. The turn around on this would have to be within the one month time period we have Annie hauled out at St. Augustine (Oasis boatyard to be exact).
In the meantime, Ive been given the task of finding out what the original prop was for our boat. The diesel engine is a Perkins 4-236 85 hp. Hopefully I'll get some help with that on this site.
We are also aware the electrolysis damage extends to the prop shaft and rudder. We'll be removing those for inspection and repair/replacement. Will post again on that at a later date if need be. However, any insights at this point would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Karen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds