Changing the antifreeze on a 4D254 - 2712E

• Andrew Schoenberg
  • Andrew Schoenberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #234 by Andrew Schoenberg
Changing the antifreeze on a 4D254 - 2712E was created by Andrew Schoenberg
Hello All

OK I am admitting my ignorance - I have completed my winterization except I can't figure out how to change/drain the antifreeze on my Ford Lehman 4D254/2712E.
I would greatly appreciate some instruction including pics if possible.
Thanks - sorry for the stupid request but my last 2 engines were Yanmars and it was a piece of cake to change the antifreeze.

Sisu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 11 months ago #237 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Changing the antifreeze on a 4D254 - 2712E
In the first place why is the boat not in the tropics?

When I have changed the anti-freeze on my Ford 254 I will find the lowest hose connection that carries coolant and drain this into a bucket and then dispose of it properly. Then use a pre-mixed coolant solution that is for Diesels as there is a difference. Shell puts out a good product that is good for 5 years.
So after draining replace the hose and fill with premix making sure to open the vent on top of the marine water cooled manifold to let out the air. If the thermostat your using does not have a bleed hole then now is the time to change while the engine is empty otherwise you will have a difficult time getting all of the air out.
Make sure to run the engine up to full temp while monitoring the coolant level as they can be difficult to get the air out, this can be done after you put the boat back in the water.
If you are changing colors of coolant make sure to thoroughly flush the old coolant as mixing colors can cause the coolant to thicken like jello.
Good Luck
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Deborah Streeter. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds