The answer to "where did the diesel go"

More
4 days 2 hours ago #3362 by Jim phillips
The answer to "where did the diesel go" was created by Jim phillips
So we had a wild issue and I wanted to tell you all the solution.

If you recall we did a sea trail and found we used around 11'ish gallons in 30 minutes.

We checked the air intake, crappy but clear. And the engine started beautifully and without smoke at all after a minute of warm up.

Ours is a Ford Industrial 192 Ossco marinized, not a Lehman.

I want to tell you all I posted on Recreational Marine Diesel Engine Maintenance & Repair Discussion Group and those people really helped, like so many of you.

The largest reply was the return was going somewhere? So I bought a Moeller fuel tank gauge as it has a return for diesel and added all new hoses just to the 13 gallon day tank... it worked.

Like some of the group said, it seems that the fuel is used as cooling for the fuel pump and is at a higher rate than a slight trickle as some said.

So now I bought a big Racor and will pump fuel into the day tank so I know it goes through a filter. It was amazing how much crud grew in the 6 months since my wife's accident. I pulled the tank and was shocked! Probably my mistake as the storms in the gulf this year were wild and that tank was down to a gallon in case I needed to pull it verses being topped off.

I am buying a new air filter, bought a new temp sensor, thermostat and injectors as backups and soon will hit the ocean.

Thank you all on behalf of myself and my wife, it really was a tough blow at a bad time and now we see light at the end of the tunnel... Seriously thank you all!

Were adding a diesel heater and an on demand water heater... then were off!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 days 12 minutes ago #3369 by DAVID JONES
Replied by DAVID JONES on topic The answer to "where did the diesel go"
I recall this discussion well. But from the above, I"m not 100% sure where the fuel was originally going? Was it going into one of the other tanks you have? Glad you got it sorted.

Where are you off to?

dj

More
2 days 17 hours ago #3370 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic The answer to "where did the diesel go"
Yes, the feed line also fed the Norther Lights generator and I hand traced the lines and one went to the keel tank. I bought the coolest endoscope off ebay for 8 bucks, 6 feet long and it works by hooking to your computer, great for getting under and behind and tracing!

David,
Were heading back 1900nm from St Marks Florida to Stingray Point Deltaville, January. If it get to cold etc. we will stop in SC or Oriental. I am putting in a diesel heater for my wife.

More
1 day 18 hours ago #3374 by DAVID JONES
Jim,

I may be heading that same way beginning of December if the boat sale goes through. Are you going up the ICW? I'm figuring at that time of year, it's likely the only real way to go. If a good weather window miraculously happens, I'll do as much as possible off-shore, but I'm not counting on it...

You've got a longer trip than I do. I'd be starting in Marathon...

dj

More
16 hours 30 minutes ago #3379 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic The answer to "where did the diesel go"
My wife is still recovering from a broken back and foot, were hoping last week in December or January. Gulf stream if the wind is not from any of the North Quads, ICW like you if its not in our favor!

Its been rough for us as the boat is a 12 hour drive each way. In 12 months we have put 30k plus on the car... it is worth it for a Whitby!

More
6 hours 46 minutes ago #3380 by DAVID JONES
Jim, if all works out, we'll almost be neighbors. I'm looking to put the boat next to Sparrows point up near Baltimore. We'll have to connect.

dj

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds