Diesel Horse Power

More
1 month 1 day ago #3180 by Jim phillips
Diesel Horse Power was created by Jim phillips
We went for sea trails with all new sails and gear. The bad news is the diesel we have is very rare, a 192 Ford Industrial marinized by Osco. I actually spoke with the guy who sold it. It is 52 HP, and much smaller than a Ford Lehman.

We cleaned the fuel tanks and luckily put in a new 13 Gallon day tank. On our first motor out everyone was shocked that it consumed 12 gallons in 30 minutes. So all of us figured it was in the return line and we closed the system and only ran and returned from the day tank.

We ran at 1700 to 2000 rpm with and without load at the dock to see if that fixed the excessive fuel consumption and we burned 1/2 a gallon in 10 minutes. All of the sailors helping us flaged off our 1900 mile trip home as they believe the 1974 192 has blow by? No fuel leaked in the blidge so we have to trust them and I will also say we had a clean bottom and prop, we rebuilt the injector pump and one injector had to be replaced.

We need a new or used engine to rebuild and are looking in the 52 to 64 HP range? Do you all agree with that horsepower?

Anyone else have a Ford Industrial 192 they got rid of and what size did you swap for?

The 192 Ford Industrial Diesel was built for irrigation pumps and some fork lifts, this is not a farm tractor version, however some did find there ways into tractors. I guess we need to find a rebuidable Westerbeke or Yanmar as funds are now low from all of the electronics etc.

Thank you all in advance!
We love our Whitby 42.

Jim and Lisa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #3181 by Cindy Ann Bowers
Replied by Cindy Ann Bowers on topic Diesel Horse Power
Jim,

We have an 80 HP Ford Lehman (original). Many of the Whitby's were provisioned with these initially. We LOVE it. I recommend talking with Brian at americandieselcorp.com . HIs father, Bob, was the guru of the Ford Lehman. He may be able to find you a rebuild, or at least give you some pointers.

Fair Winds,
CA

CA
S/V Red Ranger

More
1 month 20 hours ago #3182 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Diesel Horse Power
Thank you and I already did as they are in Virginia. He said our Ford is not anything like the ones they offer parts for. He also said that I whould be on the hunt for a 2711 or a 2712.

My concern is the large size as the 192 Ford is small. Do you think a lower horsepower engine would work?

Our Ford 192 sweet spot was 2000-2200 RPM max.

Thank you for the fast reply.

More
1 month 19 hours ago #3183 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Diesel Horse Power
Bashing into wind and current, I think we might have used all 80 HP.

That was a rarity.

I think the large alternator we have also means higher HP. If you have fridge compressor or water maker, you’ll want more HP, also.

The appliances (fridge, alternator, water maker) all have well-defined energy budgets. Easy to add up.

The HP to push the hull is a little more complex. See betamarine.co.uk/engine-selection-for-yachts/ for how to compute HP required for a Whitby.

The beta 60 from beta marine is often suggested as a replacement. The perkins m92 is 86 hp and also considered sensible for boats our size.

More
1 month 5 hours ago #3184 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Diesel Horse Power
Steven
Thank you for the information, that is exactly what we needed!
The best part of sailing is the people!
Jim

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds