engine paint and gasket material

More
11 years 1 month ago #193 by tom jones
engine paint and gasket material was created by tom jones
capns i am looking for advise on 2 items:
1) engine paint. we have a red lehman and need to paint the oil and transmission coolers. What brand of engine paint are you using?
2) does anyone know what the gasket material is made of that protects the coolers from the SS straps securing them to the engine. It looks like a ribbed synthetic material. I dont know what degree of heat buildup happens around the coolers in the engine compartment when running, as we are just now gettng her ready to be fired up, but I assume the material should be heat resistant. any info appreciated
Tom Jones Bluejacket 12.8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #195 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:engine paint and gasket material
I don't think the engine parts get hot enough to require special paint, so I'm going with Rustoleum and cork gasket material. But I'm new to this, so I'm interested in what the old salts have to say.
Roy B. Serenade W-42$45

More
11 years 1 month ago #197 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Re:engine paint and gasket material
I'll second Roy's suggestion and expand it to include Krylon primer / paint. I've had good luck with both rustoleum and krylon - but use the proper primer. Probably most important is to be sure it is really clean to start. As for gasket material, I think cork would work well, non-cork fiber gasket material available from auto parts stores as well as plain black neoprene will be fine too.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #207 by tom jones
Replied by tom jones on topic Re:engine paint and gasket material
thanks for your replies. based on your feedback and some landside experience i will go with krylon. much appreciated.
tom Bluejacket

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds