Velvet Drive Mounts

More
3 years 8 months ago #2514 by Vincent LoRusso
Velvet Drive Mounts was created by Vincent LoRusso
My WB42 is #79 with a Ford and a Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission. While changing the aft motor mounts, which actually are attached to brackets connected directly to the transmission, I found the bottom bolt on each bracket broken off in the transmission. When I removed the mounts the brackets were loose! No room to drill and use an EasyOut to correct this problem so removing the transmission is the only 100% fix I can see.

Two questions:
Has anyone had a similar problem and if so tell me a clever way to fix it?
Can the transmission be removed in the water without removing the motor?

I've used this site over the last 14 years. It is a wonderful asset. Thank you administrators.

In Sicily on a broken boat but happy,
Vincent LoRusso

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2515 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Velvet Drive Mounts
I actually got one out in exactly the same situation, but its a long shot, especial for two bolts. First get lots of Kroil/AeroKroil or similar of the remaining piece of bolt. Feel around to see if there is the tiniest piece of the bolt sticking out. I had just a sliver and by tapping with a small screwdriver and a hammer it backed out. As I have said ts a long shot, but only costs time.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2516 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Velvet Drive Mounts
Good tip! Thank you.
How did you suspended the motor & transmission? I borrowed a car scissors jack & have it under the after most part of the transmission with blocks of wood under it. I don't trust it.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2517 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Velvet Drive Mounts
We have had to deal with that issue twice. The first time we had a small piece of bolt exposed after the bracket was removed and using a mirror ,hammer and small sharp chisel we were able to back out the broken bolt.
The next time the bolts were broken with nothing exposed. We unbolted the tranny from the back of the engine and moved it back just a smidgen. That allowed us to rotate the tranny 90 degrees and acces the broken bolts with a driil and easy outs. It is a two man job and we blocked the engine underneath and suspended the back of the tranny with a line from the coupling to the large seacocks on either side.
Hope it works for you.
Dee Allegria 199
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent LoRusso

More
3 years 7 months ago #2518 by Vincent LoRusso
Rotating the transmission is a possible option I had not considered. Glad I asked. One of the two broken bolts came out I'm working on the 2nd. Broken bolts are immun to vulgar language!

Thanks again,
Vincent

More
2 years 11 months ago #2640 by Vincent LoRusso
Hello Dee Allegria #199,

Thank you for your help last February. I'm now unbolting the transmission from the motor to be able to rotate it 90 degrees. Did you unbolt the bell housing from the Ford or the transmission from the bell housing?

Thanks,
Vincent LoRusso #79

More
2 years 11 months ago #2641 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Velvet Drive Mounts
Hi Vincent,
We unbolted the transmission and left the bell housing in place.
Dee
Allegria 199

More
2 years 11 months ago #2644 by Vincent LoRusso
Thanks again for the help. It worked!

Vince

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds