1990 Brewer 44 with Perkins 4.236 - Transmission

More
4 years 7 months ago #2343 by Matt Davis
Hello again,

Trying to identify transmission make and model on my 1990 B44. We have the Perkins 4.236 power plant. Would also appreciate a manual if one exists. We're not having any problems but I figured it couldn't hurt to give her some fresh transmission fluid. Can't find any markings on transmission.

Thanks,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #2344 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Replied by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio on topic 1990 Brewer 44 with Perkins 4.236 - Transmission
Hi Matt,

I have a 1989 B44 with a Perkins 2.436 and this is my transmission: Hearth HBW250-2R. You probably have the same.

Here is a link to the manual www.dropbox.com/s/rpg5a7n8erh3nyr/Hurth%...arts%20List.pdf?dl=0

Gino Del Guercio
President
Boston Science Communications, Inc.
www.BostonScienceCommunications.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Davis, Owen Moore

More
4 years 7 months ago #2345 by Matt Davis
Replied by Matt Davis on topic 1990 Brewer 44 with Perkins 4.236 - Transmission
Hi Gino,

Thanks for the response. That is very helpful. I found the manual as well. It definitely is a Hurth.. Have you ever flushed your ATF fluid and refilled? Any good method to do that other than pumping it out through the fill/inspection hole?

More
4 years 7 months ago #2347 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Replied by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio on topic 1990 Brewer 44 with Perkins 4.236 - Transmission
As far as I know that's the only way to pump it out. I never have. I just top off the fluid, which I rarely have to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Davis

More
4 years 7 months ago #2349 by John Carlton
Replied by John Carlton on topic 1990 Brewer 44 with Perkins 4.236 - Transmission
Just a tip, if you buy a pump to do this, they come in two types, plastic (cheap) and copper / brass (not cheap, but good.) Do NOT buy the cheap pump. If the semi rigid plastic suction line breaks, as it can while you are wiggling it into an awkward position, and pumping in an awkward poisition, and if the broken bit falls into the transmission, you will have to pull the transmission out of boat to get it out.

This has not happened to me, but it has happened. Also, do get the duplex heat exchanger serviced, and an anode added if not installed. Whether it was because Whitby is on the lakes, and maybe they had a fresh water mindset, I do not know, but there is a dearth of engine and heat exchanger anodes on the power train. Mine is Perkins and a Warner gear, not a Hurth, but the point is the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Davis

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds