Connection of transmission control cable to Borg W

More
5 years 2 months ago #2109 by Mike Foster
I need help with the type of bracket and a photo if you have one of the connection of the transmission control cable to the Borg Warner Transmission.

I have not been able to find a bracket or a guide to making the proper connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanksa!

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2110 by Frank Fitzpatrick
Replied by Frank Fitzpatrick on topic Connection of transmission control cable to Borg W
Hi Mike,
First, I'm not sure if your shifter cable is attached the same as mine. On Just Desserts (ex. Menehune, #195), the cable runs vertically down the bulkhead where the outer sleeve is clamped in a standard Morse/Teleflex cable clamp (screwed to the bulkhead just over the bell housing). The core continues straight down to one arm of a bell crank that is supported by a bracket held by one of the bell housing bolts. Then there is a short link from the other arm of the bell crank running horizontally back to the transmission shift lever. (I'm sorry this must sound pretty obscure, but there is no way I can get a camera in there to take photos. I included a sketch - hope that's not quite as obscure...)

If you have this same arrangement and the bracket you are talking about is the one supporting the pivot of the bell crank, I have attached some photos of a damaged one that I removed last year (graph paper is 1/4" squares). (And - Yes, I save everything - just ask the Admiral...) In the photo you can see that the small hole has worn through right out the top of the bracket. That hole should be round.

The bracket is easily fabricated from 1" X 1" X 1/8" aluminum angle. Be careful to position the large and small holes in the correct relative positions on the aluminum angle(as shown in the photos) , or else the bell crank will wind up in the wrong place - too far to port). The larger hole in the photos is for the bell housing bolt and measures 1/2" in diameter, and is centered in its leg of the aluminum angle. The smaller hole is for the bell crank pivot and measures 5/16", however that dimension may be worn a bit so go by the pivot hole (pivot bolt) in the bell crank. It should be centered about 1-1/8" above the center of the larger hole, and centered about 1/2" in from the edge of the aluminum angle.

When mounted on the engine, the bell crank pivot should be higher than the bell housing bolt and on the starboard side of the bell housing bolt.

Hope this helps.
Frank
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Lee

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #2112 by Scott Lee
Nice write up, Frank. Lots of detail and made me want to take a look at mine. Joie de Vivre appears the same as you describe, minus the wear.

I managed a couple pictures - not the greatest views but the best I could get in the cramped area...

View from the starboard side: image_2015-09-02.jpg

View from the port side: image_2015-09-02-2.jpg

Scott
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Scott Lee. Reason: Too large for feedburner

More
5 years 2 months ago #2113 by Mike Foster
Replied by Mike Foster on topic Connection of transmission control cable to Borg W
Thank you so much Frank and Scott! Your comments are super and now I can complete the task. Thanks again for your fast responses.

Hope to see you both at the Rendexvous!

Warm regards,

Mike

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds