Lehman replacement

More
5 years 11 months ago #1967 by Richard Adkins
Lehman replacement was created by Richard Adkins
If you have replaced your engine, what make and model (horsepower) did you use?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #1969 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Lehman replacement
Scroll way down on the attached link to see my opinion on the HP discussion.

theincrediblehull.blogspot.com/search/label/Engine

Once you have settled on the HP requirements to your OWN satisfaction you can then pick any engine that fits that criteria. IMHO 60HP is the sweet spot but others certainly differ.

Gerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Adkins

More
5 years 11 months ago #1970 by Jack Dexter
Replied by Jack Dexter on topic Lehman replacement
We put a 75 Yanmar turbo in our Brewer 12.8. We're very satisfied with our choice. We probably could have gotten along with the 55 naturally aspirated Yanmar as well but we didn't want to go below the 61hp that the boat came with.

We cruise at 6.2-6.4 knots at about 2200rpm and think we're burning a gallon or a little over an hour. If we're willing to burn 1.25-1.5 gph we do 7.2 and to make a bridge we can do 8.2. My fuel use figures are estimates because I rely on my fuel gauges to show the tanks are full and you know how accurate they are.

I wondered at first whether letting the engine loaf along at 2200rpm would be bad for it but several mechanics in several boat yards have assured me that's not a problem as long as we run for 15 minutes or so at WOT every couple of days. In almost 1000 hours there's been no indication of carbon build up.

Hope this is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Adkins

More
5 years 10 months ago #1977 by Richard Adkins
Replied by Richard Adkins on topic Lehman replacement
I've decided to get the 75 Yanmar turbo, I have a max prop. What prop pitch should I use? Thanks

More
5 years 10 months ago #1978 by Jack Dexter
I hope to heck I wrote that down. I'll look for sure. My engine was professionally installed and after sea trials they hauled me twice at their expense until they were completely satisfied they had it right.

More
5 years 10 months ago #1979 by Jack Dexter
I'm sorry to say I've looked every logical place and can't see that I've written anything down about the pitch of my Maxprop. I guess I figured once it was set I wouldn't need to reset it again. That was naive, I'll write it down when we haul next May but sadly that doesn't help you now,

Jack Dexter
S/V Tribute

More
5 years 10 months ago #1980 by Richard Adkins
Replied by Richard Adkins on topic Lehman replacement
Jack, thanks for your efforts
Richard

More
5 years 10 months ago #1981 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Lehman replacement
regarding pitch of the Max Prop: I suggest that you contact PYI, makers of the Max Prop. When I owned our Whitby, I asked them questions several times, and they were very helpful...they are familiar with the Whitby. With our Lehman and a Max Prop, I seem to remember that the pitch was approx. 11" . With the greater RPM of the Yanmar, I think the pitch should be less than 11".

Alternatively, you may wish to reconsider and stick with a Lehman......American Diesel has a re-built Lehman sitting in their storeroom......sure seems that it would be much simpler (don't have to change engine mounts) to drop-in another Lehman.
best to all.....john cece

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds