Fuel consumption - S/V Pufin

More
6 years 4 months ago #1844 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Fuel consumption - S/V Pufin was created by Gerry O'Donoghue
This are the results from the recent trip that Cindy Ann Bowers and I took on Dale and Debbie Kramer's W42 S/V Puffin.

Posted for info only, your consumption will/may vary.

The only absolutes are;

1. The center tank had 80 gals (as attested by George and pilots are good at this stuff) and the engine ran at mostly 1600 revs for exactly 38 hrs.
2. The usable volume of the center tank is 80 gals

The exact capacities of both wing tanks are uncertain, they may not be the same. How full the port tank prior to departure is unknown.

My take is that the engine burns approx: 1.75 GPH @ 1400 revs and 2.1 GPH @ 1600 revs.

Regards

Gerry

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #1877 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Fuel consumption - S/V Pufin
lets see--with GTOD (Gerry) aboard-and hurrying to make a rent-a car-closing----on my Brewer 12.8 with no wind we burned all of port tank(65total) going from Marathon to Boca Grande entrance-say 10 gallons were left so its 55 gallons. We left around 10Am and arrived at Boca Grande entrance at sunup say 6AM so 20 hours 55divided by 20 is 2.75 gallons per hour. WE were going 7.4knots at 3300RPM.Close to hull speed.This is with a 17Dx14P fixed prop and a missing centerboard. Now for comparison after a month at Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage and with a new centerboard in slot and a fresh bottom ---we headed for Clearwater with new 17DX24(degrees set) MAXPROP we cruised (again no wind) at 10AM and arrived 24 hours later cruising at 2300RPM at 6.1knots. Gage said we used 24 gallons or 1GPH! this exactly corresponds with the consumption graph for the 75HP Turbo--Yanmar4JH3 -TE. Lesson is .IT COSTS DOUBLE +IN FUEL TO GO 1.3 KNOTS FASTER!!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #1878 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Fuel consumption - S/V Pufin
Yanmar graph says it should burn 2.25 GPH at 3300 RPM. I believe we burned the extra .5 GPH because of the huge cave where the missing centerboard was causing a lot of extra drag at the high speeds we were running.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds