Prop Shaft

• Robert Strickland
  • Robert Strickland's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1785 by Robert Strickland
Prop Shaft was created by Robert Strickland
Hi All,
Allegria is currently in Georgetown, Exuma. We have a broken prop shaft and were towed in yesterday from the Jumentos Cays by a generous trawler. Apparently there are no facilities for fabricating shafts here. We are thinking of having one made and shipped in. I know the Diameter is 1.25 inches. Does anyone know the length? I have a Lehman Ford with the hydralic transmission, as is typical for Whitbys. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Dee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #1786 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Prop Shaft
Dream Ketcher just had a prop shaft manufactured in Miami. They are heading in ur direction. They have a max prop (I think), which might be the only issue re length. I will try and contact them by email. Email me at whitby42 at gmail.com and I will try and hook you both up. They may have the old shaft onboard. If we can get the details I will coordinate having one made in miami and shipped out. Gerry.

• Robert Strickland
  • Robert Strickland's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #1795 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Prop Shaft
We got the new shaft and got it in with out problems. As I was going through the process of aligning the engine and shaft, I realized that the bolts holding the motormount bracket on the port aft side had sheared away, leaving it completely unsupported. That explained the reason for the shaft fracturing. It was a bear getting the bracket out and removing the broken bolts but we finished it yesterday and ran the boat and all seems well.
This is the second time I have had these bolts break, the first time on the starbord aft bracket. The only cause I can think of is bad motor mounts and I will replace all of them when we get back to Florida.
Everyone should try to keep an eye on those bolts and make sure they are tight. They are hard to see, but even harder to replace.
Dee

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds