Packing Size Diameter for Stuffing Nutt

More
7 years 1 month ago #1556 by Pat McGuire
Packing Size Diameter for Stuffing Nutt was created by Pat McGuire
I understand that this may be too generic a question, but would anyone have an inkling as to the diameter size of packing that I should use for the 1975 Whitby with the Lehman engine, as well as how many rings? After a sail last weekend, as I was leaving the boat, I heard it bilge, opened the hatch, and water was more or less pouring in at stuffing nut. We tightened as much as possible, to no avail. Seems like every year, I have tightened two revolutions to keep the water at 30 second drips at rest. It was packed four years ago and engine only has 30 hours on it since. This will have to be done in the water, and I have read several blogs on the procedure. Boat is sixty miles away, and was hoping someone already knew the approximate diameter and number of rings I should use. I can take more than one size with me.

Thanks,
Pat
S/V Fair Isle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1557 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Packing Size Diameter for Stuffing Nutt
Don't know if this was consistent between boats, but mine is 1/4", wrapped 3-4 times. You may want to check the shaft for scoring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pat McGuire

More
7 years 1 month ago #1558 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Packing Size Diameter for Stuffing Nutt
My boat is a 76 with a Lehman 80. Takes 1/4" stuffing. 3 rings should do it. No worries to do it in the water, the bilge pump should more than keep up with the water. You can always stuff a rag or something in there to slow it. Take the time to get the packing nut clean. Grease it so it will go back together easily and you will be able to adjust it.

Good tutorial from Maine Sail: www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

George Chamberlain
19876 Whitby 42 #80
INDEFATIGABLE

He who will not risk cannot win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pat McGuire

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds