Engine problem

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #1526 by George Fogel
Engine problem was created by George Fogel
Last weekend we were out sailing when I turned onto a leg of the channel where I would be into the wind, so I reached down
and hit the starter. the engine tried to turn over but stopped. I tried again, same result. We were in a tight situation and
couldn't come about. I'm pretty sure I might have lost a few weeks of lifetime, gybing into a lee shore, but she did come around
and we were able to sail out of danger. A little later the wind dropped out so I finally used all that Boat US insurance money and
got towed in. The tow captain suggested that I check all of the battery/engine connections, which I'm headed to do right now.
Has anyone else had a similar engine situation and/or suggestions?
thanks
George Fogel
SailOn
I forgot to add that there was an electrical smell after trying a few times to crank.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by George Fogel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #1527 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Engine problem
I had a run down starting battery - turned out that the fuse had blown on the house bank, and so with the battery switch in "all" I had been depleting the starting battery while running house electrical loads on an overnighter on the hook. Luckily I had another battery on board (for the dinghy) and got the motor started. Might be worth a check. But your mechanic is likely correct, a poor (loose, corroded, etc) connection to ground is the most frequent culprit.

He who will not risk cannot win.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #1528 by George Fogel
Replied by George Fogel on topic Re:Engine problem
As the day has worn on, as I was scrubbing the terminals and connections, I noticed that the batteries were Seven years old...
I replaced them and found that the new ones were only showing a little over twelve volts.
I'm charging tonight and will see if that was the problem in the morning. I noticed there was a little bit
of water in the bottom of the battery boxes. That can't be good ;-)
George
The adventure continues. I replaced the batteries and it was this morning before I could try them...
Seems that the batteries might not be the problem. I just wrote to Bob Smith at American
Diesel hoping for guidance.
Suggestions always appreciated!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by George Fogel. Reason: additional info

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds