Ford Lehman Head Bolt Re-Torque Interval

• George Chamberlain
  • George Chamberlain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #1483 by George Chamberlain
Ford Lehman Head Bolt Re-Torque Interval was created by George Chamberlain
Received the following email from Dale Kramer on PUFFIN. He asked me to post if for everyone to see, as he is having trouble logging in.

I have developed an oil leak on my engine and it is a fair amount. After degreasing the entire engine and replacing clean pads under the engine, I found what appears to be a leak in the head gasket at the rear of the engine and near the front of the engine by the alternator.

After discussing with Bryan at American Diesel, I found that part of the normal maintenance is to check the torque on the head bolts, every 500-1000 hours of operation. The torque should be 105-110 foot-lbs.
I did not know about this and I suspect others don’t either. Just passing this on.

Dale Kramer

He who will not risk cannot win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• George Chamberlain
  • George Chamberlain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #1492 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic UPDATE Re:Ford Lehman Head Bolt Re-Torque Interval
All hands - here is an update from Dale on his head bolt re-torque...

"Per our discussion today, below is the final information on the head bolts. Remember that this only applies to Ford Lehman 4 cylinder 80 hp engines. It does not apply to any SP90 engines. The reference is in the owner’s manual on page 27. Page 27 of the 80 hp engines shows the bolt tightening schedule and the valve lash settings.

1.Engine cold, I torqued the head bolts to 110 foot/lbs of torque.
2.Ran the engine at the slip until the engine temperature reached normal operating temperature. Re-torqued the head bolts and found some that had an addition turn on the bolts.
3.Reset the valve lash on all of the valves per the instructions in the owners’ manual.

We ran an operation test of the engine for about 4 hours under load, at sea. Prior to doing this we replaced all of the oil absorbent pad under the engine so we could tell if we still had a leak. The result is that the leak was sealed.

If you have this engine, you should pay attention to these maintenance instructions of re-torqueing 500-1000 hours of operation because the consequence of not doing is warping the head. If this occurs, you will have to remove the head and have it planed flat if you can.

Dale Kramer"

He who will not risk cannot win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds