Feathering Prop

More
8 years 2 months ago #1329 by Mike Foster
Feathering Prop was created by Mike Foster
I am considering installing a Maxi Prop or Vari prop and would appreciate any input from anyone whohas done this and the pros and cons. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1332 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Re:Feathering Prop
I installed a Max prop several years ago and it was expensive....and one of the best additions to the boat. Thrust in reverse really aids maneuverability. Feathering during sailing is great. I have no experience with the Vari prop.

Installation of a Max prop seems to vary quite a bit. In my case, the hardest part was removing the prop coupling because the shaft had to be shortened a bit. Others have reported having to enlarge the aperture area. In addition, absolutely verify your shaft rotation and weather your engine / tranny result in a R or L hand prop. You need to decide at installation with the Max prop. Some have R and some have L! I don't know if the Vari prop rotation can be changed at installation, or if it is built with one or the other.

In addition, be sure to measure the shaft diameter as this also varies. Do not take anyone's word for these items.

The Max prop requires annual maintenance which is simple and some who maneuver quite a bit report having the prop rebuilt after years of use. We cruise and just don't do much marina maneuvering.

I suspect your questions may result in a flood of opinions as props seem to be a bit like anchors....discussions resulting in the disappearance of quantities of rum while debating the the nebulous virtues of one or another.

Net is that the expense was well worth it.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Greg Temple.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1333 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Feathering Prop
Our Whitby had already been fitted with a Max Prop, and we like it. Would not go back to fixed prop.
RSB
Serenade

More
8 years 2 months ago #1338 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:Feathering Prop
Propeller Chooses
Derek
04/08/2010, St.Catharines Ontario

Propeller Chooses

I wanted a propeller with less drag and prop walk then Ocean Dove's original three bladed 18X12 propeller. I had been looking at feathering propellers from various manufactures.
Feathering propellers greatly reduced propeller drag under sail when the propeller blades are feathered and prop walk is mostly eliminated when going astern. The propeller pitch is adjustable so you can be set it for your hull and engine condition and tweaked it as needed. The ease at which propeller pitch can be adjusted depends on the manufacture but most can be done in the water with mask and snorkel or diver.
On most feathering propeller the pitch can be set different for ahead and astern as some gearboxes have different gear ratio for ahead and astern.
The price tag for most feathering propellers are between $3000 and $4000.
Like most mechanical things the feathering propeller have moving parts that require yearly maintenance (greasing and zinc replacement), and components that wear i.e. gears, and bearing that must be repaired or rebuilt over time.
Most propeller shaft must be modified to accommodate the feathering propeller.
The Maxi prop seems to be the feathering propeller of choice among the Whitby 42 owners group and is the most expensive.

After a Google search for "sailboat propellers Canada" I came across the Campbell Sailer Propeller manufactured by West by North in BC Canada
www.westbynorth.com/CampbellSailer.aspx

Campbell Sailer is a manganese bronze 3 bladed fix propeller with a slim blade design.
The Campbell Sailer propeller is said to minimize the problems of drag when sailing and prop walk going astern.
I Googled "Campbell Sailer propeller" and found a number of positive comments in different sailing and cruising forums. I emailing other users of CS propellers and again everything I heard was positive; it performed well under sail and power.
I liked the simplicity of a fix propeller, efficient, no maintenance, and thrifty compared to a feathering propeller.

I continued the debate in my head feathering or fix propeller.

The moment I made up my mind was the first time I had a Campbell Sailer propeller in my hands. I had stopped into Eastern Marine in Toronto to see Paul the service manager. I started to discuss my repowering of Ocean Dove and the topic moved to the propeller. I mentioned that I was looking at a Cambbell Sailer Propeller and said that the propeller was made in BC, the blades were very narrow and deeply cupped. Hold on a minute he said and disappeared into the shop only to reappear with a CS propeller in hand. One of his customers had repowered his sailboat and as he wanted to race not cruise he changed to a two bladed folding propeller.
The propeller was CSRH16x12 to small for Ocean Dove but it was the first time I physically had a Campbell propeller in my hands.
My first impression was the blades width and blade area was very small compared with a regular propeller. The blades leading edge was thick with cupped area behind it. Ocean Doves original propeller has a very fine leading edge on the blades and there are a number of repairs were it has been damaged in the past
Paul's commented on the blade thickness. "looks like a commercial propeller that could cut through logs floating around out there in BC without damaging it".
I was sold! It was simple, solidly built, and less blade area= less drag.

I spoke with Norm from West by North and emailed him the HP/Torque graphs and spec. for the Vetus VH 4.80 I was installing in Ocean Dove. Norm recommended a CS3RH18x10x1-1/4 for Ocean Dove's new engine. I should have max cruising speed between 2200-2600 rpm, this is in line with the maximum torque 170 NM @2200 and best fuel consumption 191 9/hp.h @ 2500 rpm.
West by North is also supplying a new propeller shaft of Aqualmet 22.
I have attached photo of the new propeller on top of the old propeller you can see the differance in the Blade area
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1340 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:Feathering Prop
Just a quick side note
After 2 years with the new prop I am very pleased, in light winds Ocean Dove accelerates faster when we get a puff of wind. There is less prop walk when docking. I changed from the original left hand prop to a right hand because my new tranny could go LH or RH.
The speed and engine Rpm are good 6.5 knts at 2300 rpm about were the Vetus VH4.80 likes to cruise (Max rpm is 4000/80HP). I have not measure the fuel consumption yet, but I believe it is a little over 1 Gal/hr. It was the best $750 I have spent on Ocean Dove and I have spent many.
Regards
Derek and Darlene
Ocean Dove

More
6 years 11 months ago #1604 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Feathering Prop
I own a WB42 #79 built in Canada and I have ordered an 18 inch 3 bladed Maxi Prop. My question is about the modifications needed to be made to fit a Maxi Prop on the older Canadian built boats opposed to the new boats built in Tampa. I have been told the older boats only need the shaft modified. No one has been able to say for sure if the aperture on the older boats needs to be customized. Is there anyone out there that has put a Maxi Prop on their boat and not had to change the aperture?
Thank You,
Vincent LoRusso

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #1605 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Feathering Prop
Vincent,

There are no older or newer Whitby 42boats per se. To not create confusion, be aware Canadian and Florida W42s boats were produced simultaneously. Some of the Brewer modified hulls have a different rudder configuration.

I installed a Max prop on an '84 Whitby 42. As in all these matters, there seem to be a number of variations. My installation only required shortening the prop shaft. The aperture was not modified. The owners of a boat 7 boats from mine said they need to make some aperture mods. One other caveat, be sure you know the rotation direction left-hand or right-hand. Perkins, Volvos, Ford Lehmans and their transmissions do not necessarily rotate right or left. If you can discern it, there may be a marking on your fixed prop. The Max prop can be configured for either.

Greg Temple
My Destiny W42
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Greg Temple.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds