Removing transmission

More
8 years 2 months ago #1305 by lloyd kocher
Removing transmission was created by lloyd kocher
Does anyone know if the BorgWarner trans can be removed through the aft head shower pan? My trans is leaking through the forward seal and I would like to avoid pulling cockpit floor and entire engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1311 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:Removing transmission
When I repowered Ocean Dove 2009 I made the panel under the aft cabin ladder removeable. this gave great access to the gear box and engine mounts etc. I beliieve you would still have to move the engine forward to get your tranny out.
I think there are photo of the panel removed on my Blog I repower with a Vetus VH4.80 but you can see thjan you will have great access.
www.sailblogs.com/member/oceandove/
picasaweb.google.com/svoceandove/OceanDove#5452655579623621666
Regards
Derek and Darlene
SV Ocean Dove Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
oceandove

More
8 years 2 months ago #1312 by lloyd kocher
Replied by lloyd kocher on topic Re:Removing transmission
Thanks
It looks like I can get it out thru the aft shower pan. I might have to split the trans at the reverse housing but will try the whole piece first. My panel behind the stairs is loaded with AC condenser and ducting so that is a little difficult to use.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1313 by Philip Guest
Replied by Philip Guest on topic Re:Removing transmission
We removed ours through the engine room - a tight fit with a couple of skinned knuckles but a fit nevertheless.

Philip Guest
Sea Wench W42#7

More
8 years 2 months ago #1314 by lloyd kocher
Phillip
Hey thanks so much for that post. I was fixated on moving the trans aft thru the head. Sometimes I can't see the forest because of the trees.It looks doable over the back of the engine if I remove heat exchangers and bell housing.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1317 by Douglas Stephenson
Replied by Douglas Stephenson on topic Re:Removing transmission
Over the years I have heard many versions of how to! David Hall removed items on the bulkhead and then moved Engine and Transmission forward enough to make it viable to remove and return the transmission. Derek on Ocean Dove has some excellent suggestions and pictures and did a very neat complete engine replacement. There are a number of blogs and contributions on the site as well submitted over several years. Other people actually did the wiring harness and hydraulic system disconnect, and then the machine screws that secure the cockpit sole to remove the engine, then doing the necessary work. Of course gasket material needs to be refreshed when closing up. I thought David Hall's made a liot of sense. I haven't spoke to David for some time but could contact him to see if he still has pictures of the project if that would prove helpful!
Since most of my experience was at the Canadian factory, we had the luxury of not having a deck installed. While I have a lot of time in the engine room, I have not had to do major work or removal of the components since the boats were usually brand new! Respectfully submitted, Douglas

More
8 years 2 months ago #1336 by lloyd kocher
Hey take off the heat exchangers and bell housing and it slips right out over the back of the engine. Yahoo!!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #1348 by lloyd kocher
Pulled it over the back of engine. Works!

More
8 years 3 days ago #1378 by Debi Shaimas
Replied by Debi Shaimas on topic Re:Removing transmission
Am interested in your transmission removal strategy. Did you take any pictures by chance? Any other hints and suggestions?

I have the Borg Werner transmission with the Ford Lehman engine. Hope to start removal of the transmission today.

THANKS!

More
8 years 3 days ago #1379 by lloyd kocher
Hi DebS
It is not as hard as it sounds just takes persurverance . I did it with the boat in the water. Steps 1 remove 5 bolts on prop shaft coupling and then you can slide the shaft aft about 3 in ( loosen packing gland - mine hade a drip less bellows) This will allow enough aft movement when it comes time to slide the trans spline out.2 remove heat exchangers hoses exhaust elbow etc. on back of Ford Lehman. This will start to clear a space to pull trans out. 3 The aft engine mounts are on the trans so you need to block up the aft portion of the eng ( you can do this in any creative way my eng had 2 unused L brackets )4 Next support the trans (I placed a rope around the trans coupling flange and tied it to a short plank across the top of the aft hatch rails.5 now you can remove the 2 aft eng mount bolts the 2 bolts holding the mount bracket ( wings) and the 6 trans bolts holding it to the bell housing. The trans can then be lid aft to disengage the spline. It will tilt down slightly into the bilge area supported by the rope above. Take care to slide it back and down clearing the prop shaft flange. 6 now remove the bell housin 13 bolts and take off the drive damper 3 bolts ( this will give you more room and you will want to replace the damper anyway. 7 The trans will pull forward and tilt vertically up. It weighs about 140 lbs. It is about 11 in wide if you turn it 90 degrees. You might have to remove 1/4-1/2 in of bulkhead wood hanging down . You can pull it vertically and rest it on the eng pan while recovering whew. You can email me at mstarr42k @aol.com Good Luck!

More
8 years 1 day ago #1380 by Debi Shaimas
Replied by Debi Shaimas on topic Re:Removing transmission
Good Day Kocher!

First, thank you so much for the detailed instructions. We've been working at it a little bit each day and are now up to step 5 (sliding the trans back to disengage the spline). I guess it is time for the hard work to really begin.

Wanted to ask about your comment that I will "want to replace the damper plate" anyway.
1. Where did you buy your damper plate from?
2. Can you give me a ball-park figure on cost (more for curiosity sake than anything else)?
I am assuming I will need to have this shipped down from the U.S.

Thanks!

(PS: tried to write directly to you as you suggested but am not on your list so the email was bounced back.)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds