Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts

More
8 years 11 months ago #1100 by John Meskauskas
Prop Lock- your thoughts was created by John Meskauskas
Lew: For one with a Velvet Drive, the discussion at the Rendezvous seemed a bit incomplete. Let's assume for the moment that some type of lock is desirable, if for no more important reason that the owner wants to sleep at night. I have a Max-prop and the more I look at it it seems a relatively fussy, short-distance solution. Is there a shaft lock you recommend that's reasonably priced and practical?

Thanks- John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1101 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
I don't have a particular one that I recommend. The information that I have in my Velvet Drive transmission manual states that you need a prop shaft lock.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

More
8 years 11 months ago #1102 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
I have to amend my earlier statement. If you have a folding prop you do not need a shaft lock as your shaft will not be turning.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

More
8 years 1 month ago #1304 by lloyd kocher
Replied by lloyd kocher on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
I had one on my boat took it off about 10 years ago. Borg Warner velvet drive recommends just leaving tran in neutral and will slowly turn.

More
8 years 1 month ago #1318 by lloyd kocher
Replied by lloyd kocher on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
Or if noise problem . Attach 1 1/8 donut zinc on inside in bilge on prop shaft . Attach a tie wrap with a small screw to zinc and underside of floor. The tie wrap is easy to replace and if you forget and put eng in gear it simply breaks. I have used a vice grip but you MUST attach eng ignition key to it!

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3323 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
I know this is an ancient thread, but we have the Prop Lock on our Whitby. It apparently was not designed for marine use, it is great big hunk of rust.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3324 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
There are a couple versions of prop lock that I have seen on the Whitbys. One is a caliper style brake, the other is a lever that drops into a notch in a disc attached to the shaft.

Our boat has the caliper style and we replaced the whole caliper unit surprisingly inexpensively from a company called Tolomatic. It's been working fine for the last 8 years. Sorry, I don't have the model number for it

www.whitbybrewersailboats.com/forum/1-di...lock-brake-pads#1715

www.tolomatic.com/products/product-detai...echanical-disc-brake

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3325 by Robert Horn
Ours is the one with the lever and notch in a disc. It came with the boat. I'm afraid if I remove all the rust there will be nothing left.

More
1 week 6 days ago #3326 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
I have one and wondered about its use, the caliper is gone, no rust at all on the rotor. And unlike the access to the packing gland, I can clearly see the rotor but have no idea how you would engage the caliper and the pads.

I always heard it is best to put her in reverse vs in neutral?
TKS
Jim

More
1 week 5 days ago #3328 by Robert Horn
On our last boat we always put it in reverse when sailing, different transmission though.

More
1 week 5 days ago #3330 by DAVID JONES
Replied by DAVID JONES on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
As far as I am aware the specific transmission in a boat dictates if you sail in neutral or in gear or if you can do both. I have always looked for the transmission manual and found the answer there. This fact surprised me a number of years ago sailing in a friends boat and was told I needed to put the transmission in reverse when sailing. I thought they were nuts but did as they wished as it was their boat. Turns out the specific transmission they had needed that configuration. All boats I’ve ever owned wanted the transmission in neutral. Subsequently I’ve discovered some transmissions allow for neutral or to be placed in reverse if you don’t want the shaft to turn for some reason. I’d find a manual for your transmission and find out what that specific transmission prefers.

dj

More
1 week 5 days ago #3334 by Robert Horn
As best as I recall, The Velvet Drive calls for shaft brake or lock, Unfortunately I think our Prop Lock is beyond repair.

More
1 week 13 hours ago #3335 by Brian Stewart
Replied by Brian Stewart on topic Re:Prop Lock- your thoughts
From the BoaterEd site
"foggy sail" called Velvet Drive Transmissions/Marine (864.843.9234) which is no longer a subsidiary of Borg-Warner and was directed to their technical department. The person foggy sail spoke to was named Jeff who explained that the transmissions can operate freewheeling safely if the speed is kept under 7-8 knots.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds