Manufacturer/model of engine control

More
11 years 4 months ago #110 by David Shaddock
Manufacturer/model of engine control was created by David Shaddock
I have a later model Whitby 42, #324, with a Volvo Penta engine. The engine control is on the starboard side of the helm. I'd like to maintain it, fix the wobbly parts, replace the control shaft and ball, and so forth. But I can't even figure out how to get it apart/take it off! I think I'm have to turn in my engineering licenses. My first problem, I think, is finding out who made this thing, and what model it might be. I don't see any logo or inscription anywhere on the cast. It has a single black pull-knob (which is to keep the transmission in neutral during warmup), and a stainless single arm, about 4 inches long, with a red phenolic ball on the end. I have two spare arms, so I can tell this doesn't thread on but is instead captured by a set screw or collar. I unscrewed the black knob and peeled back the adhesive-mounted ring, but there's no hardware exposed behind it. I looked inside the helm and it looks like several sheet-metal screws attach this--but from the outside. How do I get the cover off the control?

Thanks for any help!
Dave Shaddock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #111 by Larry Donaldson
Replied by Larry Donaldson on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
Dave,

I just spoke to Doug and the controls are Morse Controls, Teleflex is the style. He mentioned that to get it apart there is a set screw 180 degrees from the handle mount. Best to put the control in full reverse and you should see the set screw. Once out the unit will slip off and there is a nut that can be tightened to firm up the control. Doug said call him if you need a further description of the procedure.

Larry Donaldson
S/V Star Shadow
Whitby 42, #333

More
11 years 4 months ago #116 by Lisa Cornelius
Replied by Lisa Cornelius on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
Dave,

I have a Volvo Penta MD30A and hull #332

I think throttle is exact same as yours too. Descripition sounds same.

I have had to take mine off several times now. Vibration makes it wobble loose.
Also it locked in forward a few weeks ago right at the slip just as I absolutely needed reverse.
Boat just rode up on dock. no damage.

Set screw 180 degrees removes handle then large srew driver taps locking nut off.
I see you have that answer already.
Put weak version of thread sealant on large locknut to help stop backoff.
Tighten the four bolts (holding to binnacle) and put better lock washers on.

I replaced my transmission cable too. Tried to lub (special cable device) several times to no avail.
Malfunction would occur at random and at exactly wrong times.
Having no confidence in your throttle controls is unnerving.
Even in NORMAL OPERATIONS One has to "use the force" to control this full keel boat.
One must use Special techniques without bow thrusters. Jedi Nights (Star Wars) know how.
Low water velocity over the hull (control surface) with only pulses of thrust provides very little real control.
Rudder is the aeilron of the wing (hull). Control force (Lift) is generated near center of pressure of curved surface.
Add to that a randomly malfunctioning throttle that will stick in Reverse or Forward.

I have it all working now. Throttle is nice and tight like new. AND ...I think...
the transmission MS2B will do my bidding as desired now.

Call me if you want more details.
Patrick Cornelius 302-286-7134
cell on boat most days 302-981-0237

More
11 years 3 months ago #127 by Douglas Stephenson
Replied by Douglas Stephenson on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
David, In my absence, Patrick Whitby 42 #332 and Larry on Whitby 43 #333 responded very accurately. Did you need more info or input or has all issues been resolved, Douglas

More
11 years 3 months ago #136 by William Speary
Replied by William Speary on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
The replacement is a Teleflex Morse CH2100. It's a single lever side mount sailboat engine control.
I have one, I will install it when the old one gives out.

Look at: www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/teleflexfiles...onmanuals/CH2100.pdf

The old unit is Teleflex CH1308. There are no more parts for this unit. I have 6 page instructions for the old one. I will be at the 2009 Whitby Rendezvous. I'll try to scan it for the website.

Our Whibty is #320, with a volvo MD-30/MS2.

Bill

More
11 years 3 months ago #137 by David Shaddock
Replied by David Shaddock on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
Bill, I appreciate the info--where did you manage to obtain a CH2100? I've sent several requests to British firms asking if they'd sell me one and ship to the US but have yet to receive a reply (after 5 weeks now). I can't locate a supplier in the US who carries this.

I've located the setscrew based on other posts in this forum and have it loose, but I haven't yet been able to remove the control from the splined shaft. I need to find a very thin-edged gear puller. Eventually it will come off and I'll be fine--but I'd still like to update the control.

Thanks!
Dave Shaddock
Gypsy #324, still on the hard but getting closer in Arapahoe, NC

More
11 years 3 months ago #138 by William Speary
I got mine from :http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86333F

Bill

More
11 years 3 months ago #139 by David Shaddock
Replied by David Shaddock on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
That's great, Bill. I appreciate the link. They have always had good prices there, as well--I've used them often.

I realize that I'm having trouble finding the CH2800, not the CH2100--it's similar, but more modern in design with a twist knob that controls a bow thruster. I can only find it on German and British sites. I may just get a CH1700 with a trim switch in the handle instead, and use that, but it just doesn't look 'Whitby' to me... sigh... Or maybe I'll just make my own.

Thanks!
Dave Shaddock

More
11 years 3 months ago #142 by Douglas Stephenson
Replied by Douglas Stephenson on topic Re:Manufacturer/model of engine control
David Shaddock, did you have success in acquiring and or repairing your throttle unit. Patrick, Larry & Bill pretty much covered it. I didn't have the model # but have recorded it now. I have taken apart Toberua II's 3 times in recent years and as Patrick mentions a mild solution of locktite or similar would be important to retard reoccurance. On close inspection I also found that I had split the set screw so a lack of torque was my last problem. Good Luck, Will we see you at the rendezvous? Douglas

More
11 years 2 months ago #143 by William Speary
I havr post the manuals for the CH1308 at PHOTO GALLERIES->JANUS(1)->THROTTLE.

Bill

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds