Whitby engine and generator replacements

More
9 years 2 months ago #1002 by Mike Foster
Whitby engine and generator replacements was created by Mike Foster
I just returned from 4+ years working in Abu Dhabi and now can go sailing..FINALLY!
I need to rplace my 80HP Ford Lehman and 4kw Kubota generator as well as exhaust syatems, controls and transmission.
I would be interested in any previous experience or suggestions as to replacements or a rebuild of the Ford Lehman and generator. Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1003 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
Our 1974 Ford Lehman was rebuilt in 2005 and now has about 3,000 hours on it. Still runs great. I would suggest American Diesel in Kilmarnock, Va. if you are inclined to re-build.
Roy B.
S/V Serenade
W-42 #45

More
9 years 2 months ago #1004 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
Roy is correct in advising you to rebuild the Ford. Currently the only new engine on the market that compares is the John Deere aqnd the Hurth transmission will never be as good as your Velvet Drive and american diesel can rebuild that also. If you replace with a throw away diesel they are lighter but will never give you the service life of the ford.
As for the gen set I finally made my own from a single cylinder old yanmar engine converted to a belt drive and a 5500W belt driven generator from harbor freight. The old engine will outlast me as it is not aluminum and the gen set is cheap to replace if you need to. The best source for electricity is solar panels and a large battery bank with a large invertor to supply your needs.

Just my opinion after a life time in the business.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

More
9 years 2 months ago #1006 by Leon Bowles.
Replied by Leon Bowles. on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
I just rebuilt my Ford which apparently has 8000 hours on it. Internally it was still in quite good shape and bearings and crankshaft are still within original specs. I do not have a generator and took the opportunity to clear enough space on the far side of the engine that I can now cross over to sit on the other side to service that side of the engine. I did fit a bigger battery bank and solar panels though. You can see some info about the engine rebuild at my Blog -

Leon.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1007 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
One other point...... when our old belt-drive generator failed, we opted for a portable Honda 2000. It's fairly quiet, efficient (2KW) and fuel efficient. For the cost ($950) it's a good deal. It fits neatly in the lazaret, and our came with an outlet that our shore-ower cord fits into. The only inconvenience is getting it out and started, but we frequently leave it on deck with a bike lock holding down. We use it to operate our old Grunnert 110v freezer, and occassionally charge the batteries.
Cheers,
Roy B.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1009 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
While I have no argument with the "rebuild" ideas in the previous posts keep in mind that you have other options. Firstly don't get fixated on the 80HP requirement on the W42. All the figures will indicate that anything over 50HP will work. This was supported at the 2010 rendezvous when Doug Stephenson stated that the engine initially considered for the W42 was a Perkins 4108. I went for a used Perkins Sabre 65HP (price was right), but I would recommend you look at the Beta Marine 60.

"Ocean Dove" went for a Vetus Vh4.80. www.sailblogs.com/member/oceandove/?xjMsgID=123898

On the "throw-away" you could always look at the Yanmar 4JH4-TE 75, keep in mind that this is a turbo and may cause heart attacks amongst the purists.

With all the tax free oil money you are bringing back from from Abu Dhabi you could also look at new Hybrid propulsion and join Nigel Calder on "the bleeding edge of technology", LOL.

Have Fun

Gerry

theincrediblehull.blogspot.com/search/label/Engine

More
9 years 2 months ago #1010 by Mike Foster
Replied by Mike Foster on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
Thanks Gerry!
I appreciate your advice and response..I wish my money was tax free..Ha! Ha!
regards
Mike

More
9 years 2 months ago #1011 by Mike Foster
Hi Roy!
Thanks for your wisdom and advice...I sent Bob Smith an e-mail and will investigate further.
Best regards!
Mike

More
9 years 2 months ago #1012 by Mike Foster
Hi Leon!
Thanks for your great suggestions and I loved your blog...you certainly did a lot of work and I am just beginning that process.
Best of luck sailing in Thailand!
Regards
Mike

More
9 years 2 months ago #1013 by Mike Foster
Hi lew!
Thanks for yur comments and advice. I sent an e-mail to Bob Smith, American Diesel and will most likely pursue that option.
Thanks again and best regards!
Mike

More
9 years 2 months ago #1014 by Leon Bowles.
Replied by Leon Bowles. on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
Hi Mike,
No Problem. I plan to launch this weekend so should be able to sea trial after that and report on the success of the rebuild. As someone else suggested I plan to use a small portable Honda for occasional AC power.
Leon.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1028 by Derek Keeping
Replied by Derek Keeping on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
Ocean Dove Hull # 328 (1986) had a Volvo MD30 that was not cost effective to rebuild. I had bought a ford engine with a velvet drive and low hours to replace the Volvo
Plans changed after a great fall sail the wind blow up from 12kts to 35kts, the genoa blowing out and the old Volvo failed to start. After jumping the starter with a screw driver and finally getting back to the dock in the dark the Admiral (Darlene) Said "You're not putting a old engine back in this boat"
The reason I bought the Vetus VH-480 was price, it was old new stock and it was N.A. "No Turbo".
Yes it is a throw away engine, high revs 4000 rpm max, hard to get parts etc... But it is very quiet. smooth shifting, gobs of power, was easy install and 200 lbs lighter then the Volvo.
If Ocean Dove had a Ford or Perkins engine I would have rebuild it. but the Volvo parts were expensive and some not available.

Engines I looked at were
Beta www.betamarinenc.com/
Sole www.greatnorthernsupplyltd.com/
Yanmar
Cummins www.tadiesels.com/cu-B3.3M.html
westerperk www.westerbeke.com/Products/productdetailLanding.aspx?id=1283
Vetus

Regards
Derek and Darlene
Ocean Dove

More
9 years 1 month ago #1056 by Martin Gaffney
Replied by Martin Gaffney on topic Re:Whitby engine and generator replacements
I see some interest in onboard generators, which is where i was a year ago. If it will help someone, I have several small used but working (13.5 hp) Perkins diesel engines, Factory new 5 KV peak 3 KV continuous generators,and factory new aircon compressors for sale. I bought them indirectly from Rigmaster when they changed hands here in Toronto. Theirauxilliary power unit was built for big rigs and squeezes the last ounce of energy from each litre of diesel. I have built one up as a replacement for the Entec 4200 currently fitted in my Brewer "Wandering Spirit" which is in Roatan, Honduras.These parts are presently in Toronto, and can be shipped after November as I am away until then.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds